"Maezawa Yusaku: 'I Want to Make Japan a High Labor Productivity Country'"


I wish the Reiwa era to be a joyful and peaceful time for everyone.

My wish for the Reiwa era is that everyone can turn their passions into their profession.

Despite Japan's small land area, it offers abundant things and experiences, increasing the likelihood of discovering one's passions. Particularly, engaging with genuine and ultimate things might raise the chances of encountering what truly sparks one's interest.

During my middle school years, attending live concerts of bands like Alfee and Bon Jovi awakened my love for music, leading me to immerse myself in band activities and eventually debut in the music industry. Collecting records from around the world also played a significant role in establishing a record mail-order business. I believe that if it weren't for that memorable night's live concert, I wouldn't be where I am today. I'm grateful.

Though I'm uncertain if it'll be a form of repayment, I want to share everything genuine and extraordinary that I can. Whether it's about cars, art, space, fashion, golf, or anything else, I won't hesitate to showcase it if it becomes a catalyst for someone's encounter with their passions. I hope people find what they love. Especially, I want children to discover their passions.

Some time ago, I also mentioned that I wanted to make Japan a high labor productivity country. However, I believe that if as many people as possible can pursue their passions as their professions, that goal can be achieved.

Regarding the idea of "turning passions into professions," some may question, "But then who will do the jobs that people don't want to do?"

For jobs that people don't want to do:

1. Machines and robots can handle them.
2. People with a strong sense of responsibility and mission might willingly undertake such jobs while earning extremely high incomes.

I think it will fall into either of these two categories.

If someone who takes on the responsibility of doing a job that others don't want to do feels they are not adequately compensated, I encourage them to boldly negotiate for higher wages with their companies. If doing it alone seems difficult, gather like-minded individuals. Since society functions thanks to all of you, it's your natural right to do so.

Among investors, managers, and workers, the majority are workers, playing the leading roles. I hope you'll seek possibilities instead of searching for reasons why something can't be done. The work environment and employment conditions within companies can be changed through the voices and actions of workers.

Whether one lives bound by something or not is up to the individual to decide.

Wishing you all in the Reiwa era can turn your passions into professions. 😊